Get the book here

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Tribute to Chuck

As I type all reports indicate Charles Colson is near transferring out of his earthly body into the presence of his Lord Jesus Christ.

I've met Chuck twice (and will re-meet him one day in glory).

The first time was in 1978 or 1979 when the movie "Born Again" (based on his spiritual autobiography) was released. Kansas City Youth For Christ, of which I was a staffer, was involved in the Kansas City premier of the movie. I met him in the theater and then, as prearranged, I went with him into Leavenworth Federal Prison where I shared my testimony before he spoke. It was a privilege and an honor.

We had dinner together before going into the "Big Top", and during our conversation he asked me to consider
joining his staff. I was honored, told him I'd pray about it. A few days later I let him know God was directing me to stay at YFC. Again, this was in 1978 or '79.

Fast forward at least 20 years. I re-met Colson in Buffalo, New York at a conference.

During a brief conversation I said something like, "I know you won't remember this, but I first met you in Kansas City...we ministered in the Big Top together, and I was so honored because you asked me to consider joining your staff..."

Colson grinned and confessed, "Gotta tell you, Jack, back in those days I asked almost anybody with a pulse to join Prison Fellowship!"

Oh well.

All of his books are great, but Loving God is my favorite. If you've not read it, you should, and you can order it below and be a help to this home missionary who trusts God to provide through His people as the Hager's subsist on missionary support.

And here's a brief interview Colson gave a few years ago:



1 comment:

Dave Hardy said...

You'd've been an asset to his staff, Jack.

:D