Get the book here

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Jacob is Ten? How can this be?

NOTE: I wrote this for one of my other blogs that focuses on a verse from the appropriate chapter of Proverbs each day. Check it out (and subscribe?) at www.proddedbyproverbs.wordpress.com


Proverbs 10.1 is particularly and personally timely to me: “The proverbs of Solomon. A wise son makes a glad father, but a foolish son is a sorrow to his mother.”
Today is Jacob’s tenth birthday; his ‘golden’ birthday…
Ten years ago Jane and I waited in a hospital in Hornell, NY for him to be born. The next 24-36 hours were horrendous as his birthmom (who had come to us specifically asking us to adopt) was counseled by siblings to keep the child. She did decide to follow through…
And our lives have been enriched so much!
As our fourth child (Josiah, 28; Joel, 25; Janelle (also adopted at birth) 17) Jacob is also our last (yeah, I know God has big sleeves and the occasional ‘trick’ up them..but…)
I love being husband to Jane and Dad (or Daddy!) to the four children God has entrusted us with…but it is also the hardest “job” I’ve ever had.
And the only thing that keeps me (relatively) sane is the certain knowledge that my heavenly Father loves my children so much more than I do or can. And He has plans for good…And all things work together for good…I can’t even imagine trying to parent without knowing Abba!
Being a parent certainly increases prayer life!
And we desperately pray that Jacob (and all our children) are not only “wise,” but increase in wisdom. We have tried and are trying to “raise them up in the nurture and fear of the Lord…”
But ultimately they make their choices…too many parents have guilt because they did everything “right” and still their children blew it.  For them I remind that the Proverbs are principles, not promises.
After all, God had a couple “children” named Adam and Eve…methinks God did everything right…and they still blew it.
So if you are a parent with wayward and wandering children, pray and trust. So easy to type, so difficult to do.
If you have young children at home, remember that your most difficult job…and the one with the most blessings, pain, and joy…is that of being “Mom” or “Dad.”
And be thankful that you can call upon our Father 24/7.
And do it.

No comments: