Get the book here

Friday, May 3, 2013

Unwittingly Describing THE Problem...

First, allow me to be clear:

I would much rather live next door to Jason Collins than to a member of the Westboro Baptist Church, or any other supposed-Christian who writes, thinks, or speaks hatred toward a particular type of sinner.

That said, I should not, can not, and will not back down on the issue that homosexual activity (as opposed to temptation etc) is sinful behavior, as is premarital sex, extramarital sex, lying, lusting, gluttony, etc.

Unless you've been on another planet you know that Jason Collins has become "the first openly gay athelete in a major American team sport.(his words)"

The current issue of Sports Illustrated "breaks" the story. I bought a copy last night (in Mall of America, by the way; here for the Bible Quiz Fellowship planning/committee meeting)

The article is written by Collins (with help from Franz Lidz).

Though not explicit in the SI article, Collins professes to be a Christian.

Here are his words:

"I'm from a close-knit family. My parents instilled
Christian values in me. They taught Sunday School,
and I enjoyed lending a hand.
I take the teachings of Jesus seriously,
particularly
the ones that touch on tolerance and understanding."

Words matter.

"Particularly", whether intentionally or not, reveals selectivity. Bible reading according to Thomas Jefferson...don't like it, cut it out...or, don't pay particular attention to it. (yes, I know the Scripture does not record the Lord Jesus directly discussing the issue of homosexuality; but He quotes extensively from the Old Testament and speaks of the Bible as the very Word of God)

Yes, I am "one of them." I believe the Bible is the Word of God (not that it merely contains the Word of God). I can't cut-and-paste; I must take it all...which is not to say I understand it all, but I don't let what I don't know mess up what I do know.

Homosexual behavior is sin.

And standing-His-ground on that issue may result in being called a hater, being arrested, being incarcerated, or more...

But, in the words of that great social observer, Tom Petty:

No comments: