Get the book here

Monday, June 1, 2015

No, Mick, It Isn't

A drag.

That's what it isn't.

What's it? You've not made the association yet?


Getting old.

The Rolling Stones sing it is a "drag."

Not for me.

Today I "officially" turn another year older-than-dirt.

Many my age have retired.

I'm cranking it up (well, in actuality God is cranking it up).

I'm not "against" retirement; I just don't want to so do.

My times, like yours, are in His hands.

I pray regularly for twenty more years of effective ministry...if it be His will. ("Thy Kingdom come" means "my kingdom go")

I want to finish well...just not soon.

I've tons of energy. Lots of excitement.

A magnificent wife.

Spectacular children...though Janelle continues to break our hearts by her choices.

And a God who gives me this promise: "I will be the same until your old age, and I will bear you up when you turn gray. I have made you, and I will carry you; I will bear and save you." (Isaiah 46.4)

So, Mick, though I love your music (he plays in KC in a few weeks, alas I'll be out of town), this one is a downer.

A few years ago I was given a plaque that reads, "Old age is mind over matter; if you don't mind; it don't matter."

Concur.

And as I enter this day, this year, however many new mornings of mercy the Lord allows, one of my constant prayers remains:

"Do not let those who look up to you be ashamed because of me, Lord God of the Heavenly Armies. Let not those who seek you be humiliated because of me, God of Israel." (Psalm 69.6)

Though I'm not in a hurry to finish; I desire to "finish well" to His glory, and to the good of the Kingdom.

And now, for your listening pleasure (or groaning):

No comments: