Get the book here

Sunday, May 17, 2015

I Echo Billy Graham

Yeah, a rather bold title.

I'm reading Sir David Frost's Billy Graham - Candid Conversations With A Public Man, and enjoying it very much.

The book is a compilation of over 30 years of tv interviews (none of which I recall seeing).

I was blessed to see a Graham crusade in Kansas City, Rochester and Cleveland. The latter was historic as it was the first time Mr. Graham had a "rock" group with him...D C Talk.

Anyway, one passage from the book read today could have been penned by me:

"I'm still nervous when I stand up to preach. I always get tense and nervous and afraid that I may say something that would mislead people. You know, it's a tremendous responsibility to try to tell people how to get to heaven."

Billy said these prophetic words in 1964...

"I believe that when the gospel is preached; however badly...that the Holy Spirit is the communicating agent; that people are not really listening to me after about ten or fifteen minutes if I'm really preaching the gospel.

I think they're listening to another voice inside, the voice of the Holy Spirit, and the Holy Spirit is applying and communicating.

That's the reason I disagree with the bishop of Woolwich in that we need a new jargon to appeal to this generation.

We don't at all. 

We need the old jargon, the biblical jargon, preached in the power and urgency of the Holy Spirit."




No comments: