Get the book here

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

An Open Letter to My Friends Who Drink

As an alcoholic (dry for over three decades) I hate alcohol perhaps only as an alcoholic can. I would love to see drunk drivers executed on the first offense (and that is not hyperbole). "Drugs and alcohol" is redundant.


I wish with all my heart the Bible condemned drinking. It does not. Jesus did not turn water into freshly-squeezed grape juice. (and those of you who argue the Bible explicitly forbids alcohol, I urge you to again read without your preconceived prejudices)


The Bible does, of course, condemn drunkenness. And I believe one can build a "weaker brother" case for abstaining from drinking.


But I'll not argue that. I will ask/beg/plead with those who follow Christ who think they have the freedom to drink in moderation would consider the benefits of doing so in private, and not broadcasting to the watching hordes over facebook, blogs, twitter, etc their activity?


The admonition to esteem others more than yourselves comes into play as, again, does the weaker brother argument.


Please consider this prayerfully. For those of you who have not had problems in drink, Proverbs 23 describes perfectly my life before liberation from drugs (to include beverage alcohol)...but even in my pre-salvation days as a thief, drug dealer, and user...alcohol remains the only drug to which I am physically addicted.


Here is the Proverbs 23 passage:


 29 Who has woe? Who has sorrow?
       Who has strife? Who has complaints?
       Who has needless bruises? Who has bloodshot eyes?

 30 Those who linger over wine,
       who go to sample bowls of mixed wine.

 31 Do not gaze at wine when it is red,
       when it sparkles in the cup,
       when it goes down smoothly!

 32 In the end it bites like a snake
       and poisons like a viper.

 33 Your eyes will see strange sights
       and your mind imagine confusing things.

 34 You will be like one sleeping on the high seas,
       lying on top of the rigging.

 35 "They hit me," you will say, "but I'm not hurt!
       They beat me, but I don't feel it!
       When will I wake up
       so I can find another drink?"

4 comments:

Jim Carl said...

Amen brother. I too am an alcoholic, whose father was an alcoholic, who has now been dry for 30+ years as well. I have watched loved ones cause great pain for themselves and others by indulging in what Satan wants us to believe is a harmless pastime. If you are reading this please, please, ask God to reveal His will for you as you ponder these words which have great wisdom in them.

steve said...

thanks for the good word brother. When our liberty in Christ supercedes our deferring to another brother or sister, we have misunderstood what it is to be free.

Anonymous said...

Seriously? You want to kill people for the content of their blood? How Christ like.

Jack Hager said...

Dear anonymous..no, not for the alcoholic content of their blood; but for the fact that they are behind the wheel of a deadly weapon under the influence...if all they did was kill each other that would be cool with me (to a degree, obviously I use hyperbole..as did Jesus); but they so often take too many others lives and they walk away. And it is such a joy to read of a fatality caused by an idiot who had three or more priors. They can get drunk on their own, use a designated driver, whatever; but if they get behind the wheel of a car under the influence I have absolutely no sympathy for them...only for those riding with them or in their way. jack