Get the book here

Monday, April 26, 2010

Don't Slow Down!

Over thirty years ago I preached a sermon, for critique, at Christ Unlimited Bible Institute in Kansas City (a sadly now dead school that made it inexpensive to gain significant training into the Word of God, youth ministry, and more).

The content was applauded (although Dr. Al Metsker said my title, "I Can't Get No Satisfaction," was a double negative and thus poor english...Al was a wonderful teacher/mentor/example, but like too many he had little idea of the contemporary scene), but the most-often-voiced criticism was the speed at which I spoke.

Though I trust I've improved variety of speed etc since then, I am still a rapid-fire-talker.

I've always admired and learned from MARK BATTERSON yet this, from his latest blog, is a confirmation for me that I need to be who He designed me to be...

I'll be evaluating my communication habits till the day I die. Why? I want to be a more effective communicator! And part of that is self-evaluation. Honestly, I think the biggest key to better communicator is more anointing. I have a simple formula: more anointing from God = more energy for the speaker = more interest in the listener.

"So I'm reading today and I come across a fascinating little number. We talk at about 150-words-per minute, but listeners can process speech at about 600 words-per-minute. That is why your mind wanders while listening to some who speaks slow! I'm also noticed that the more excited I get the faster I talk. All of that to say, I wonder if I need to pick up my pace. I wonder if talking faster, because you're energized by what you're saying, is one key to keeping people's attention."

I don't know if Mark need to "pick up his pace," and I need to continually evaluate my delivery (AFTER I prayerfully deliberate the content), but I'm okay with the speed of my delivery!

No comments: