Get the book here

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

LAST Time Piper/Warren

My to-do list is too long to remain caught up in the Piper/Warren stuff. (If you've missed my posts on this, or have no idea to what I refer, CLICK HERE and then CLICK HERE.


As someone who was converted at age 26 shortly after being confronted with the claims of Christ through reading a book that I later realized had a lot of whacky stuff in it; as one who reads widely and recognizes that no doctrinal system, no preacher/teacher, no "school of thought" is infallible, though much can be gained through the filter of the Spirit of God and His Word...I end my attention, at least in print, to this matter with the following passage (and, to be clear, not "accusing" either Piper or Warren of fitting into this passage; but the point of the passage clarifies, for me, the issue):


"Some indeed preach Christ from envy and rivalry, bu tothers from good will. The latter do it out of love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. The former proclaim Christ out of rivalry, not sincerely but thinking to afflict me in my imprisonment. What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is proclaimed, and in that I rejoice. Yes, and I will rejoice" (Philippians 1.15-28)


Excuse me, I'm going to hop on my exercise bike, read more of The Trellis and the Vine and rejoice!

3 comments:

Phyllis said...

We are called to examine everything! And scripture is the frame of reference to do this correctly.
While I'd have to take a closer look at this verse in context, I noticed something that seems a bit strange. Paul is accusing these "brothers" of insincere motives. I believe that we are taught not to judge motives, but here he is claiming their motives to be insincere. So, it must be that Paul, somehow, could determine their motives by their behavior. The next thing I notice is that he does not condemn their doctrine, like he does in Galatians, and did not hold back on his suggestion that the ones in error should emasculate themselves if their going to get the gospel wrong!! He condemns motives, at least in this one verse, but not doctrine. Interesting. You have set me on the path to search out this matter. Thank you Jack:)

Unknown said...

PHIL JOHNSON IS UPSET WITH “BOTH” CAMPS OVER “DOCTOR” JOHN PIPER GIVING A SPEAKING PLATFORM TO “DOCTOR” RICK WARREN . SO JOHNSON STAYS SAFELY IN THE MIDDLE AS TO NOT ISSUE ANY DECISION WHATEVER , IS THIS WHAT JOHN MACARTHUR REQUESTED OF HIS RIGHT HAND MAN …? BE WARY OF MENS AGENDA’S ALWAYS !

I get it now, Phil Johnson & Doug Wilson want us to wait and see what happens having Rick Warren speak at DG 2010 since God did not give discernment to any of his children !

Unknown said...

TO DESIRING GOD 2010 RICK WARREN JOHN PIPER ATTENDEES

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xcvemw_to-desiring-god-2010-rick-warren-jo_webcam