Get the book here

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Time for a Check Up?

Frances Havergal was born December 14, 1836. By 1873 she longed for a deeper knowledge of God (having written many, many hymns to that point).

 On December 2, 1873 she was brought to see that she could not have the full blessedness of faith havergal_fr3without a full surrender to Christ.

On February 1, 1874 she visited a home where there were ten people, some unconverted, some Christians but no where near joyous. 

A great longing seized Miss Havergal, and she prayed all would come to faith..and they did!

On the last night of her stay, February 4, 1874, she was too overjoyed to sleep, and spent the night writing perhaps  her most "famous" hymn. 

She would later conduct meetings, and at the end of each she'd give each attendee a card bearing the words of the hymn. She'd ask them to take the list home, pray over it, and then, if they could make the commitments their own, sign the cards on their checklistknees.

She died at 43, and her headstone in England is engraved, per her request, with her favorite text, "The blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanseth us from all sin."

Here are the words, with the parens supplied by Nancy Leigh DeMoss.

This is yet another reason not to throw out the baby (older, meatier, more doctrinely-sound "hymns") with the bathwater -- and thus focus on totally "new" praise-and-worship...some of which is very good; some okay, more-than-some  me-centered spiritual cotton candy)

I view this as a sort of time for (honest) introspection, a check up, if you will:

Take my life, and let it be consecrated, Lord, to Thee. (my life)

Take my moments and my days; let them flow in ceaseless praise. (my time)

Take my hands, and let them move at the impulse of Thy love.Take my feet, and let them be swift and beautiful for Thee. (my body)

Take my voice, and let me sing always, only, for my King.
Take my lips, and let them be filled with messages from Thee. (my tongue)

Take my silver and my gold; not a mite would I withhold. (my possessions)

Take my intellect, and use every power as Thou shalt choose. (my mind)

Take my will, and make it Thine; it shall be no longer mine. (my will)

Take my heart, it is Thine own; it shall be Thy royal throne. (my affections)

Take my love, my Lord, I pour at Thy feet its treasure store. (my relationships)

Take myself, and I will be ever, only, all for Thee. (my all)

No comments: