Get the book here

Monday, June 27, 2016

The Sky Is Falling!

(NOTE - I wrote and published this on November 8, 2006...)

No, it is not. The mid-term election should not be a suprise. Many "evangelicals" (a term that, like most, is defined in the ears of the behearer) will send out letters, and jesuswill preach sermons, and more describing how horrible the election results are.
I agree. But I'm not any more discouraged than I was yesterday. Could it be we as a nation are getting what we deserve? Why, indeed, should "God bless America"?
We have "our" megachurches, "our" bestsellers, "our" people in high places, and yet less Americans believe even in a generic-god than in years past 

Without going into reasons why I think it is so, the body of Christ's impact in our nation has declined - perhaps proportionately to the "bigness" of what I call "churchianity"?

I had hoped the election wouldn't be quite as clobbering to the Republicans. I still believe we need to fight terrorism on their turf, not ours. I am aware the powers-that-be have blown it big time; but I do not think it is irreparable.

But there is more at stake than terrorism, taxes, homosexuality, and whatever else is on someone's "list."

The more-at-stake is simple...Will we "love the Lord our God with all our hearts, all our mind, all our strength, and all our soul?" Will we love our neighbors "as ourselves" (even if they happen to be pro-gun-control, homosexual, or prochoice?)

Will we "do justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with our God"?

Or will we just keep waiting for the next flashy book, the next cool seminar, the next big thing?

I'm preaching to myself, friends. We need to strive to walk-the-talk 24/7. We need to recognize that we wrestle not against flesh and blood, or political parties, or activists. We need to fight the "good" fight and not get absorbed in mickey-mouse fights.

In a sense, John, Paul, George and Ringo got it right: "All you need is love..."

I can't remember where I got the artwork...but I like this more than a meek-and-mild, almost effeminate Jesus that is all too common.

Could it be that this is the look Jesus gives me...gives our nation?

No comments: