Get the book here

Sunday, July 1, 2012

D-Ship

Just concluded one of the best weeks of my life.

Was invited to participate/assist in the inaugural "Rising Up" session at Crescent Lake Bible Camp in Rhinelander, Wi. Started by my great friend Joshua "shua", it is designed to facilitate honest community, enable lasting spiritual growth, and to combat the "camp" highs that crash so quickly after campers return to real life 101.

Our group was small...ten...and the ages ranged from 21 to 14. Oh, yeah, and some old dude.

We did some fun camp stuff.

But the focus was community.

Too often we forget that Jesus worked with a dozen, and had an "in crowd" of three.

We strive for numbers. I understand that those who have to pay the bills want numbers to help pay those bills.

But after this week Shua and I concur...smaller is better. I envy these guys because they get to continue for another week. Shua is hoping to schedule several two-week sessions next season.

Many were broken in their honesty. It was a joy to be able to pray specific "sniper" prayers rather than vague "shotgun" prayers.

We became an organic family. My buddy Joe Petsch and I had to leave yesterday; and late last night the crew called us and pestered us...like family should.

It was unique because I was not the "speaker," but rather a participant. It was unique because they couldn't even cover expenses..but Shua invited me and I already knew a few of the participants.

It was unique because I believe all of us will remain family...distant by geography but close in heart.

I can't share details; that would betray the family.

But I can publicly praise God, thank Shua, and thank the other "family" members for allowing me to be a part.

No comments: