Get the book here

Sunday, June 12, 2011

My Brother

Most who read this know that I used to think my family was screwed-up, until I went to school and discovered we were "dysfunctional."

But I really think a reason I am still in youth work at my, ah, advanced age is that my upbringing was a generation or two "ahead" of its time..with parents not involved in my life at all; moving out at 14, etc.

My brother was 11 years older than I, so we really did not interact as brothers...he would drop in and out of my life as his military career allowed, and as I got older and more into drugs etc we rarely talked. We reunited several years ago, and for that I am grateful.

His death on Good Friday was a shock, and, for a variety of reasons, his widow did not hold a memorial until yesterday. Well over a hundred folks came, and it was as good a  time as such an event can be. I was able to share Jesus as I asked the Lord to set a watch over my lips; and met a few of his friends who knew Jesus and the gospel and who told me they, too, had shared with him.

Here are a few pics:

                                                       Bob Early in His Military Career

                When I was arrested way back when I lost everything, so this is a treasure - my brother holding me

 An honor guard did a folding of the flag thing, and a 1 star general handed me and Bob's daughter a flag
                                             (his  widow received one at his actual burial)

No comments: