Get the book here

Friday, January 15, 2010

"Oh, Be Careful Little Thumbs..."


Mark Batterson has a word of warning for all who tweet, text, blog...perhaps especially noteworthy for teenagers?

I was reading II Corinthians 10:10 today: "His letters are weighty and forceful, but in person he is unimpressive and his speaking amounts to nothing." That text triggered this thought: some of us are very different people "in person" than we are "behind the computer." And I don't think that is healthy or holy.

I'm not just talking about bloggers who write irresponsibly about that which they do not know. I think it's easier to slander someone or spread gossip from the comfortable confines of your computer. Somehow the medium excuses the sin. It doesn't. All it does is a keep a written record of what you've done wrong. I'm not trying to get on a soapbox. I just think communication mediums can be used for good or evil. They can help us grow spiritually or become a spiritual snare.

To redeem an old saying: be careful little thumbs what you text. That goes for blogging, twittering, and emailing too! Keep it righteous! After all, God is blind copied (BCC) on everything we write!

No comments: