Get the book here

Saturday, December 13, 2008

You Should Go On A "Wild Goose Chase"!


I've said, a few times, that the most useless thing on the face of the earth is a typical Christian. God can't save them, allegedly He already has; and He can't use them for they are not pursuing Him, passionate about Him, or promoting Him.

But I know there are periods of my life where I slide dangerously close to "typicalism." The preventative is daily submission, daily praise, daily discipline.

And now there is a prescription I take myself and heartily encourage you to take also.

It is Mark Batterson's Wild Goose Chase.

I've read it in two days; and will re read it often. I am an underliner...love to underline sentences, paragraphs, etc. After three pages of Wild Goose I quit underlining...as I'd have virtually the entire book underlined!

Batterson challenges me to see fanaticism as normative for the life of a Christ follower. I double-dog-dare you to get this book and be revolutionized. Will it stick? That's up to you and me.

Here's a sampling to whet your appetite (and, when you want to buy the book, do so on the link at the end so I can get a few pesos...hey, I'm a missionary who raises support..every cent helps!)

I wonder if churches do to people what zoos do to animals?

I wonder if some of us are living such safe lives that not only we are bored, but so are our guardian angels?

When Christianity turns into a noun, it becomes a turnoff. Christianity was always intended to be a verb.

We can get so busy doing 'ministry' that we don't have time for ministry.

It is much easier to act like a Christian than it is to react like one.

That's enough for you to get a nibble of flavor.

Buy this book. Read this book. Apply this book.

Here's the deal. Buy it, if you don't like it, I'll buy it back from you.

Deal?

Get it here:
Wild Goose Chase: Reclaim the Adventure of Pursuing God

3 comments:

Jean Harshberger said...

ok, I'll take the chalange, you had me at the church and zoo line! If I can enjoy Briggs Im in the clear right? I have been keeping my eyes and ears open for the next book or study. Just finished a 12 week study on Daniel and its like everthing is "new" all over again, theres alot of things that I have learned along my walk that I have to revisit now. One more thing - Have you read "The Shack"? If you have, what is your take? Thanks. Jean Harshberger

Anonymous said...

Jack, I am on the Threads team at LifeWay (www.threadsmedia.com). Mark Batterson is working with Threads right now on his Bible study based on Wild Goose Chase that will release from Threads in May. Just thought you and your readers might be interested. The study will include DVD sessions and is discussion focused for small groups. You can find other small group studies at www.threadsmedia.com/studies. Thanks! - Jenny

Jean Harshberger said...

Read it...answered several questions and raised several questions....I don’t want my money back, it was both energizing and encouraging.