Get the book here

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Retire? Why?


In the mall yesterday a guy asked me, when I told him I had just moved to the area, if I came here to retire!

Hmmm.

Why would he think I was old enough to retire? (refrain from comments, please)

But it reminded me that I've no desire to "retire." This is not a statement that retirement is sin...but why would I want to quit doing what I love doing?

It saddens me that so many followers of Christ hate their jobs/careers. Not once-in-a-while, not just-on-Mondays; but always they dislike intensely their jobs.

Malcomb Forbes got it right when he said, "The biggest mistake people make in life is not trying to make a living at doing what they most enjoy."

If you are a student, seek His face, His path, and recognize that He has gifted you and called you to a career...find it!

If you are an adult working at a job you hate...find what you are good at, what you are gifted for, and do it...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it true that sometimes God has us doing something we wouldn't have chosen? I've fought with Him, begged Him to help me pursue a career in what I love to do (music and writing); however, for the past two years I've been a housekeeper at an adult care home. I'm happy that Jesus has given my sister and me the opportunity to bless these elderly people but I do get down. It's just not how I had planned-- maybe that's the problem. God's thoughts aren't my thoughts... I guess. :)

Jack Hager jack.hager@gmail.com said...

Hannah...God orders our "stops" as well as our "steps." This past year plus has been a "stop" for me; but, looking back, my faith and prayer life grew...so it is a Romans 8.28 situation...Keep seeking Him and trust Him to grant you the desires of your heart as He conforms your heart to His will...Easy? Nope, but it is NOT about 'your best life now,' it IS about being prepared for use here, and for heaven there.