Get the book here

Monday, June 2, 2008

The Fundamental Choice



I can't remember where I heard it, but I like it:

Every situation, every circumstance gives you fundamentally two choices:


whine or worship.

I am prone to whine/complain/grumble, though I know what the Word says about such expressions of lack-of-faith.

Here's a sharper statement (using the word "murmuring" instead of whine/complain/grumble) from a couple centuries ago):

"Murmuring is no better than mutiny in the heart; it is a rising up against God. When the sea is rough and unquiet, it casts forth nothing but foam: when the heart is discontented, it casts forth the foam of anger, impatience, and sometimes little better than blasphemy. Murmuring is nothing else but the scum which boils off from a discontented heart." Thomas Watson

Why am I prone to "murmur" and "complain"? Am I the only one?

3 comments:

number 5 said...

have you ever read "heaven taken by storm" by watson? it's definitely an excellent little book!

Mandy said...

No. You're not the only one. I'm in your club, too. I like that phrase..."whine or worship". That'll I remember... Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I wish you were the only one...then I wouldn't have to admit I struggle with it every day.