Get the book here

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Another One Bites the Dust

Don't let the title fool you.

I am saddened that yet another mega-church pastor has fallen. If you do not know about this one, I'll not mentioned his name, except that he traveled in, ah, "Independent" circles...and his predecessor (and father-in-law) was Jack Hyles...

On my morning walk I prayed for the situation (my brother-in-law is a pastor in the same church) and those involved.

About that time a young lady jogged towards me. She was drop-dead gorgeous and, sadly, not wearing a whole lot.

I :"bounced-my-eyes" and by His grace and my discipline did not bounce back...

But I thought about the pastor, so many others I've known or known of who have crashed and burned. Brought Casting Crowns "Slow Fade" (if you've never seen the 'official' video; or it has been a while, make the time to watch) to my mind and heart.

Then I thought back to the "independent" pastor.

And again recognized that legalism is not only a disgrace to the gospel...but it doesn't "work."

This pastor was from the school of "thought" that preached any type of music with a beat was wrong, girls/women must always wear dresses (or skorts), virtually all movies and tv were of-the-devil, etc etc etc.

And the pastor gets busted for a sexual relationship with a "young woman" in the congregation (and the FBI is investigating.

I take no joy in this. But I do make the observation...legalism is not only asinine, it doesn't work.

"Flee youthful lusts" "Pursue holiness" "Whatsoever things are pure..."

These "work" as we keep asking the Spirit of God to fill us (as opposed to "thrill us") and do all we can to "fix our eyes on Jesus."

And a regular prayer of mine, for myself first and others also, is:

Psalm 69.6, "Let not those who hope in You be put to shame through me, O Lord God of hosts;
                    Let not those who seek You be brought to dishonor through me, O God of Israel."

2 comments:

Aaron said...

We were just talking at prayer meeting last night about how we have heard you say "Anyone can commit any sin at any time." It is only with God's help that we can resist temptation! Thinking we are "immune" is what makes us the most vulnerable!

musicmom20785 said...

I know of a church near where I live that's dealing with a similar situation...so sad...much prayer is keep our leaders looking only at Jesus.