Get the book here

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Whatcha lookin' for?

Bono sings "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

But he is an exception...

Usually...almost always...we find what we are looking for.

All God's creations do...

Take the buzzard for instance...he gracefully soars above, all senses keyed as he looks for something dying, something decaying, something rotten...and, guess what, though it may take a while...he finds it.


Consider the hummingbird...ignoring the fact that scientists say it can not fly...she frantically (or so it seems) flits rapidly...searching desperately for some sweet nectar...guess what? She finds it.

We all do.

We all find what we are looking for.

So I ask myself...and you can tune in and ask yourself...What am I looking for:

...in other Christians

...in other ministries

...in other churches

...in my children (or in my parents)

If you're looking for the negative, the rotten, the decaying...you'll find it.

If you're looking for the positive, the good, the living...you'll find it.

I recognize we can get off balance here...and, sadly, balance is something only learned in losing it; but, at least for me, I'm asking God to give me eyes to look for that which is good, for which I can encourage instead of beat up or beat down.

After all, it is not a reach to apply the following to this:

"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think  about (look for?) these things." Philippians 4.8 (ESV)



No comments: