Get the book here

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Continually Amazed

In 1978 I was asked to join the staff of Kansas City Youth For Christ.

I was nearing graduation from Bible school, and this was an exciting offer!

Until I realized I would not be paid traditionally, but would have to "raise support."

Yuck.

I had only been out of prison a bit over a year. I had spent most of my life stealing, manipulating, deceiving until Christ captured me in jail enroute to prison.

And now they wanted me to mooch?

But, thankfully, I prayed about it, searched the Word, and came to the conclusion that support made sense for those who serve as missionaries...whether overseas or within the States.

The mere fact that everyone I knew was either in prison or should have been was an inconvenience. I had no family.

But I had a big God.

And since 1978 I (and since 1982 we...Jane and I) have lived "on support."

I'd have it no other way after over thirty years.

If I inherited a bunch of money; I'd have a lot of fun giving most of it away.

Support is amazing...not "simply" because there are folks who sacrificially invest in our lives and work to partner with us in ministry; but even moreso because they pray.

Would they pray were they not giving?

Scripture says "where your treasure is, there will your heart be also." Too often it gets misquoted the other way around...

It's hard to show interest if you don't have anything invested.

I was catching up on my support record keeping much of today after being gone basically all summer...and uniquely confronted with the amazing fact that bunches of people have, in many cases, since I first started in 1978, been investing in the work to which the Lord has called Jane and me.

Alas, many of those who have started have gone on to glory, or have had to curtail their giving because of economic set backs.

So there is a need for "more" support.

But I fret not...because God (and His people) have proved faithful for over three decades in our lives...and He shall continue to do so.

"My God shall supply ALL your needs according to His riches in Christ Jesus."

So...just in case you are thinking about the possibility of serving as a missionary either short or long term...and you are a bit scared of raising support...don't be...it sounds trite but it remains true - "If it is God's will; it is God's bill."

And, just in case you are looking for a missionary couple to support...let me know!

No comments: