Get the book here

Saturday, July 9, 2011

I Love This Sentence!

Here is the opening paragraphs of a blog written about "The King's Speech." It is by MIKE WITTMER and is worth reading in its entirety.

But these first paragraphs are so very valid, and the "bolded" sentence is the best one I've read in perhaps months:

I finally saw The King’s Speech last night (and early this morning, it’s a long movie). I almost never watch movies in a theater, not because of my residual conservative upbringing, but because I can’t see paying $20 when my wife and I can watch the same movie for $1 a few months later. I do read the reviews of each new movie, and frankly, there aren’t many that I’m interested in seeing, and even less that God wants me to see.  I doubt that it’s possible to spend much time in theaters and not suffer spiritually. 

If you think that sounds legalistic, it may be because you’re too licentious. Of course conservative Christians were wrong for saying that our young people should not go to the movies (especially when we watched the same films at home on our VCRs). But I don’t think we’re better off now that the pendulum has swung in the other direction, and even our sermons include illustrations from R rated movies (and not the good kind). Pastors, please remember that any time you refer to a movie in one of your sermons, you are giving tacit approval to every person there to watch it. Every teenager is thinking, “If my pastor saw Caddyshack, then I can, too.” Is it any wonder that our young people struggle with sexual sin?

No comments: