Get the book here

Friday, July 15, 2011

Devotionals Not Cutting It?

I am not against "devotionals"...especially if they are based on the Word, and that those who use the devotionals make the time and effort to open their Bibles and read the cited passage (if there are no Bible verses as part of the "devotional"...well, it ain't "Christian")...

But, I fully concur with the following assessment written many, many years ago:

I tend to find the doctrinal books often more helpful in devotion than the devotional books, and I rather suspect that the same experience may await many others. I believe that many who find that “nothing happens” when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand. C.S. Lewis

No comments: