Get the book here

Friday, July 17, 2015

Paying the Piper


After typing the title, I realize I have no idea where that saying came from. Oh well.

After four consecutive weeks of teen camp speaking, in three states, I got home a week ago. 

It was obviously wondrous to be reunited with my wife and son Jacob. It's nice to sleep in my own bed in my own home.

But then I had to go to the office...accumulated snail mail, incoming books, emails pushed aside for answer "later"...those things and more clobbered the reality of paying the price for being gone for a month.

But what a joy to "pay" the price.

After all these years (since 1978) I'm still amazed I get to speak to teens around the country. A few years ago I reached the point where younger campers were...yikes...children of former teens who had camped with me! What is such a young guy like me doing in such an old body???

Like you, the "current events" are not encouraging. From the Bruce Jenner award for "courage," to the tragic death of four Marines, the Iran "deal" (good one for them!), and individual stories of people we know...concentrating on the "news" can be deadly.

So instead we "fix our eyes on Jesus." 

Some would say that's too simplistic.

Color me simple.

He is the only stability in my life. He is the only rock. He has blessed me with life,  a wonderful wife and family, precious friends, and allows me to serve Him as a home missionary.

He is good, all the time; and all the time, He is good.

And He sings to me a song by the Beatles...because, amazingly, He wants to hold my hand!

"For I, the LORD your God, hold your right hand; it is I who say to you, “Fear not, I am the one who helps you.” Isaiah 41.13

Maybe I'm not the only one who needs that reminder?

Speaking of reminders, let's go back to 1964:





No comments: