Get the book here

Monday, February 1, 2010

Whining to Worship

As has been said, every situation, every encounter, every moment gives us two alternatives - whine or worship. Does that mean Christians don't whine? Absolutely...dead Christians. But as long as we are "in this tent" there will be times we whine.

The folks who talk about "negative confessions" must not read much of the psalms.
For instance, Psalm 13:1-2 are not very "positive:"

How long, O Lord? Will You forget me forever?
How long will you hide Your face from me?
How long shall I take counsel in my soul,
having sorrow in my heart all the day?
How long will my enemy be exalted over me?

Then David formalizes a request and considers the outcome if his request is not granted in verses 3 and 4:

Consider and answer me, O Lord my God;
Enlighten my eyes, or I will sleep the sleep of death,
And my enemy will say, 'I have overcome him,'
And my adversaries will rejoice when I am shaken.

Then, David's answer comes as he remembers, reflects, and refocuses on what a disciple ought to do:

But I have trusted in Your lovingkindness;
My heart shall rejoice in Your Salvation.
I will sing to the Lord,
Because He has dealt bountifully with me.

"Honest to God"  is a dumb thing to say to try to convince someone we are telling the truth. But being "honest to God" is a cool thing. Sometimes we don't tell Him the truth because we are afraid we will shock Him. Duh.

No comments: