Get the book here

Sunday, February 7, 2010

"Stand and Greet" - Am I the only one who hates them?

No, I know I'm not the only one who hates the typical (in certain "brands") Sunday morning thing when the guy up front says, "Let's stand together and greet one another" or, even worse, "Let's stand together and hug one another." Gaggeth.

Don't misunderstand...it is important for a local body of believers to mingle, greet, and, yeah, hug...but it needs to be a natural outflow of genuine love, concern, and care...not orchestrated and/or demanded.

Today I visited Tenth Presbyterian in Philly (a personal goal, see preceeding post)...due to yesterday's horrific snow there were few in attendance at the 9.00 am service...but at least 6 or 7 individuals went out of their way to welcome me...two were fairly sure I was a visitor (the fact that I had on a sweatshirt and jeans and most of them (but not all) were in suits may have been a hint!)...all before the service, in the foyer and in the (incredible) sanctuary.

Methinks that's the way it should be (granted, some churches have designated "greeters," and I don't think that's necessarily bad...but it would be better (and, alas, rare) if individual parts of the Body would naturally do what should come (super)naturally.

That's my take...what's yours???

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

for me, it depends on the church. i actually like it even at my home church- i usually don't know the people around me and though i see your point about it shouldn't be forced, it's still nice to see a friendly face and a smile. it kind of gives me the feeling of not being alone, if that makes any sense. normally hugging is a bit much, however....

there's this little church called New Hope Family Worship Center, in Brooklyn NY, and they give hugs. and it's totally natural and not overwhelming. so like i said, it really depends.... but i dont think the actual stand and greet is the problem. people will or wont welcome newcomers, regardless of whether the stand and greet is used. and not to mention in bigger churches, it's very hard to tell who's new. or who's not connected. haha. but i do agree we should be doing more on our own.

Anonymous said...

If I am prepared to worship the Lord and believe I am in a place of His ordained leadership, it is a good thing to follow the greeting practice. I usually look for those who need greeting, like the stranger, the one whom is known to me as struggling, the little children oft ignored as well as the teenagers who may have a wall in place already. I'm bad at remembering names but it is still a good thing to greet when asked to do so by the leader in authority and not rebel against their leadership. Have you ever taken your objections to the leader? Maybe the crux is getting our eyes off our own navel and really caring about the stranger in our midst - who sometimes may even be in our own family. To put the big smile on for a stranger when we've just had words with a teen or spouse at home or enroute is pretty artificial. Clean us up Lord and help us get to the sincerity of love that you want to shine through us.