Get the book here

Saturday, July 5, 2008

Don't Get the Tar & Feathers, But...


I love America. I'm grateful to be a citizen of a free nation.

But my allegiance is to the Lord Jesus Christ, and to His Father, who "so loved the world..." not the United States.

I am uncomfortable seeing an American flag adjacent to a "Christian" flag.

And I believe it is very difficult to live for Christ in our nation.

Why?

We just celebrated "Independence Day." Yet we are totally dependent on the Lord.

We are told to "look out for number one," yet our Savior reminds us "if you want to be great among God's people, learn to be the servant of all."

"Go for the gold" rings our unofficial anthem. Be content, rings scripture.

American citizens demand our "rights." Exactly what rights does a bondslave of Jesus have?

I love our country. I pray for her leaders (not just those I agree with...). I spent four years serving in the Army.

But it is not, nor has it been, nor will it be "God's country."

And thus we should guard ourselves from off-balance patriotism which could tragically slide into idolatry.

No comments: