Get the book here

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Do We (Still) Care?


It appears to me that Christians, in large number, have tired of the fight against abortion. I hesitated posting the photo of a 22-week old (aborted) baby here; but conviction won out - we must be reminded that the slaughter continues.

Here's part of a letter to the Editor of Time magazine published in the July 21 issue. The letter is from Kelli Conlin, President, National Institute for Reproductive Health in New York City.

Here's what she writes,

"There are three ways that women and teenagers can take responsibility for a pregnancy: abortion, adoption, or parenting. One option is not more responsible that the others. Each is a valid choice, as long as the chosen path is the best for the individual pregnant woman." (emphasis added)

Should not the unborn childs' "best" be considered?

My view of abortion is one of the ONLY things that did not change when I began following Jesus. I knew abortion was wrong, was in fact murder, if for no other reason that it could have been me.

Do we still care enough to at least pray that legal abortion is ended?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my Jack! Janelle sent me this e-mail also. It's murder...no doubt in my mind! God help this country if we continue to look after the well fare of entire nations and ignore the innocent children being slaughtered right here in our country! It doesn't take much common sense at all to see the wrong in this!!! I think most of don't know what we can do though to make a difference. Do you have any ideas?

Anonymous said...

I am not sure what to do to stop abortions - but my own pregnancy has made me think a lot about what can be done to help mothers in tight or seemingly impossible situations. I was so sick for the first trimester and a half that I sometimes struggled to walk from one room to another. My husband had to do everything for me - fix my meals, do the laundry, help me up the stairs to bed, etc. I did continue to work, but only because my job as a teacher allowed me to sit for the majority of the day and because my coworkers and my students were extremely understanding and did everything they could to help me - including waiting on me when necessary.

If I had been employed at a factory or a restaurant or some other place where standing was required, I would have been out of work since I could often only stand for a minute at a time, if that.

It made me think a lot about other women who might be just as sick as I was but who did not have an accommodating job or a supportive husband. I wondered what it must be like to be a pregnant woman, alone, facing a situation in which she may not be able to earn the money she needs or to fix her own meals to nourish herself and her baby. I wondered what it would be like to be a pregnant woman with hyperemesis gravidarum, bed rest requirements, or mandatory hospitalization. Any of those conditions would likely cause the woman to be unable to care for other children or work to support their needs and the needs of the growing baby.

It made me wonder how many Christians would be willing to be the hands, feet, and perhaps financial support for a woman who might be so sick that she could not adequately provide for herself and her growing baby without those types of support.

I know that those types of issues are not the reasons for most abortions. But my own sickness made me think a lot about what other women may be going through - and what Christians, myself included, may or may not be doing to help.

~Randi