Get the book here

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Gospel for Breakfast

Another great prayer from SCOTTY SMITH

  Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul. Psalm 143:8
 
     Dear heavenly Father, I cannot conceive of a better way to begin every day than feasting on the gospel. Lay the big breakfast buffet out before me… give me the choice of any and every delicacy imaginable… and I’ll choose words of your unfailing love for me in Jesus, every time.

     There’s no nutrient I need more than the fresh manna of your grace. Nothing tastes as sweet as the assurance of your welcome… presence… and affection. I’ve never met a carbohydrate I didn’t like, but just send me ample supplies of the Bread of Life am I’m a “happy camper”… far better than that, I’ll be a different man.

     Indeed, Father, I’m not just looking to be a satisfied consumer of the gospel. I need your unfailing love for the challenges of the day… this day.

     Apart from the gospel, I’ll whine more than I’ll worship. Apart from the gospel, I’ll judge people more than I’ll seek to understand them. Apart from the gospel, I’ll get my feelings hurt quicker than being careful not to offend others. Apart from the gospel, I’ll avoid people that want more from me than I want to give them.

     Apart from the gospel, I’ll react selfishly to irritants, rather than responding graciously. Apart from the gospel, I’ll talk more than I listen. Apart from the gospel, I’ll think about me much more than I think about you. Apart from the gospel I won’t risk anything, I’ll do just enough to get by.  Apart from the banquet of the gospel, I’ll be reaching for junk food all day long… literally and figuratively.

     Father, because of your unfailing love for me in Jesus, I have put my trust in you. I do lift my soul up to you, right now. Show me the way of the I should go this very day. Show me what thinking, feeling and choosing in line with the truth of the gospel requires of me, and then give me that supply. So very Amen, I pray, in Jesus’ beautiful and bountiful name.

No comments: