Get the book here

Friday, August 21, 2009

Too Easily Converted

Here is a gem of thought from A. W. Tozer:

Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, "If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." --John 8:31-32

First, we must consider the person who becomes a disciple of Christ on impulse. This is likely to be the person who came in on a wave of enthusiasm, and I am a little bit suspicious of anyone who is too easily converted. I have a feeling that if he or she can be easily converted to Christ, he or she may be very easily flipped back the other way. I am concerned about the person who just yields, who has no sales resistance at all....

Actually, I go along with the man or woman who is thoughtful enough about this decision to say truthfully: "I want a day to think this over," or "I want a week to read the Bible and to meditate on what this decision means."

I have never considered it a very great compliment to the Christian church that we can generate enthusiasm on such short notice. The less there is in the kettle, the quicker it begins to boil. There are some who get converted on enthusiasm and backslide on principle!
Faith Beyond Reason, pp. 55-57

1 comment:

David R. Nelson said...

Thanks, Jack. It's hard to define exactly HOW God works, a la Nicodemus & the Spirit blowing wherever he wills . . . . Being careful with eternal souls should be our highest priority in Gospel proclamation!