Get the book here

Friday, March 14, 2008

Waiting and Learning and Waiting Some More


As we anticipate while we await the buyer of our house to show up, there are times of gritting teeth and wondering "why" and/or "when". "Our times are in His hands," and I am confident the Lord has a plan...but waiting is hard.

My boss dropped some stuff on my desk today asking me to look it over. Lots of material, but I think it providential that one of the writings is titled "A Time to Wait. It is written by Rev. David Hammerle of New Day, Inc.

Here is part of what I read:

The fact is that the waiting period is the most difficult time of any dream. We are a people who are so bound by time limitations that we want things to happen yesterday. However, the waiting period is where changes take place in us. It is during this time that our faith is defined and brought to maturity.

Maturity in the natural world is marked by a growth toward independence. This is not so in the realm of faith development. The mature faith is the faith that becomes more dependent. The waiting period causes us to realize how little control we have of the circumstances surrounding our life. It is here that we learn to abandon our need to control everything around us and surrender to God’s infinite wisdom and divine control. During the waiting period we learn the value of the prayer that Christ taught and lived – “Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.”

The waiting period also affords time to develop a different view of things. Paul prayed three times for God to remove what he calls a “thorn in the flesh.” God’s answer to his request would bring about a change in Paul rather than a change in his circumstance. Consider the text of 2 Corinthians 12:9 – “And He said unto Me, ‘My grace is sufficient for thee: for My strength is made perfect in weakness.’ Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.”

God would rather teach Paul the value of trials for the purpose of bringing spiritual growth than to remove obstacles from his pathway. The teaching would need time to work. The work of the Holy Spirit often centers more on changing lives than on changing things…

Failure to see what God is doing during the waiting period does not mean that He is doing nothing. Your faithful service can sharpen your vision and enable you to see the workings of God in the midst of your difficulties more clearly than when simply biding your time while waiting for God to make a change in your circumstance.

Good stuff sent by God to kick me in the rear and get my thumb out of my mouth!

1 comment:

Kristy said...

Jack -

This spoke into my life and God met me exactly where I'm at - in what seems like a perpetual waiting period. This whole week God has been making me keenly aware just how little control I have over anything, and bringing me from a place of self-dependence to God-dependence. Our world so wants us to be all about the "self", and really, I've sensed a new how tragic this mind-set is as it distances us not only from God, but also, it's a pretty hopless road to travel.