Get the book here

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Trials are Part of the (Real) Deal!


A staff member jokingly said, “Well, Jack, you must have misread the Lord’s leading or your house would have sold by now.” At least I think he was joking.

Regardless, his statement is laughable.

Following God’s leading does not mean a smooth path. In fact biblically and historically the opposite holds true; after all, “All those who desire to live Godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution.(2 Tim 3.12)”

My family and I are not doing a whole lot of suffering; especially in comparison with believers in dire circumstances both in the United States and especially world-wide.

But to think I “misread” the Spirit’s leading because we haven’t sold the house yet is fuzzy, foggy, frightful “theology.”

“Exalt in your tribulations (Ro 5.3)” says the Word. “Consider it all joy when you encounter various trials.(James 1.2)” Paul (who knew some stuff about suffering) wrote to the church at Philippi, “For it has been granted to you that for the sake of Christ you should not only believe in Him but also suffer for His sake…(Phil 1.29)”

Peter echoes those thoughts with “For it is better to suffer for doing good, if that should be God’s will, than for doing evil.(1 Pe 3.17)” Later Peter says, “Therefore let those who suffer according to God’s will entrust their souls to a faithful Creator while doing good.(1 Pe 4.19)”

What, pray tell, does the “prosperity” preacher do with such verses? Ignore them.

I certainly am capable of “blowing it.” But I remain confident that God has called, even prodded me, to join the Midland Ministries staff. Would I like a quick and fantastic sale of the house? Duh.

But I’ll rest in Him, His timing, and His plan.

If it’s His will, it’s His bill. When I’m to hit the trail, He will arrange the sale!

And it is certainly okay (and requested) that you join us in prayer for the buyer to show up - quickly!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope the unnammed person was joking, but unfortunately I've found that kind of mentality all too prevalent. Starting with people who tried ("lovingly") to convince me that God can't use a person on the mission field after he's had cancer... down to people on my last missions trip who said God must not want me in city ministry because while I was in Philadelphia, I got the flu.

How ridiculous is that?? Ah, one of my major Christianish peeves...

number 5 said...

quote from sunday's sermon, "not only is God's plan perfect, His timetable is, too." be encouraged :) (and we'll keep praying for a sale!) ;)

tvtv3 said...

You and your family are in my prayers, Jack. I pray that you will sell the house soon. In the prosperity gospel that seems so ubiquitous in America at the moment, one doesn't hear much about the trials and tribulations we've all been promised if we are following the Way. Peace, my friend.

Tom