Get the book here

Saturday, September 12, 2015

Nonnegotiables...

Was surprised recently when a response I posed to a question a friend asked generated a lot of heat...to the point of a pastor calling me a heretic because I posed a possibility he did not like.


I had expressed an "opinion" as opposed to "thus sayeth the Lord." This particular individual not only challenged me, but early on said that I was purposefully coloring my opinion so that it would benefit me. As a redeemed sinner I am fully capable of so doing, but it is the Spirit of God's job to reveal that; no one else knows the "thoughts and intentions" of my heart. Then, later, he set the stage to label my "opinion" heresy...which is the same thing as labeling me a heretic.


I was (and am, as some of it continues) surprised at the amount of slaps I took for this particular post.


And I'm such a thin-skinned dude!


But it did cause me to think about asking readers a question:


"What Are Your Non-negotiables?"


On what mountains are you willing to die? More vividly, on what mountains are you willing to let your family die? (I believe a preference is something you'll argue about; a conviction is something you'll die for; a Biblical conviction is something you'll let your family die for)


As I think and pray and observe, I may share my list later.


For now I'm looking for yours.


Care to contribute?


For example, I am non-negotiable on the virgin birth of Jesus Christ. I'm non-negotiable on the exclusivity of the gospel. Though I've no idea what it is, I'm non-negotiable on the reality of hell.


That's a sampling.


How about you?

No comments: