Get the book here

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Familiarity Breeds...

Struck today as I prayed...

I normally pray before my feet it the floor. For several months I've gone through the Disciple's prayer (commonly called the Lord's prayer...but since He had no sin to be forgiven doesn't quite fit) slowly, trying to meditate on the phrases; then some specific prayers for specific people; then a few other things.

Just before I got up I thought about my Bible reading...I'm focusing on Philippians this month...and it hit me.

I had just communicated with the God of the universe...and I would soon be reading His Word.

Duh.

I knew that, but this morning I was stunned by it.

I do not feel I've been treating prayer casually, or missing the mark totally in my Bible reading.

But I have been fairly disciplined in these, ah, disciplines for quite a while.

And over that "while" I've grown too familiar with the privilege of prayer and the majesty of the Word.

I get to cast all my cares on Him!

I get to read His Word to me!

The real Master of the universe desires to meet with me. The Spirit is willing to open the Word to me as I open my Bible.

Wow.

As we boldly go into His presence; as we "in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let (our) requests be made known to God" (Phil 4.6)...we need to remember "that which is of first importance" (1 Co 15)...the gospel.

It is not "just" the gospel...it is the "gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ."

He is our focus, not the gospel, not our theology, not our burden for lost people, not our pet doctrines.

"Fixing our eyes on Jesus..."

The picture is of a poster a friend made for me about 30 years ago...Danny cut out the poster, added something he found, and glued it (decopauged?) to an old board. One of my cherished possessions. I know some go ballistic because "Jesus isn't still on the Cross!"

I know that.

But I need the reminder of His incredible substitutionary death moment-by-moment, and this picture over my desk is a regular reminder...

And I need to be reminded...prayer is a privilege, and the access I have to God's Word is certainly not universal, and "to those whom much has been given much will be required."

Perhaps you do, also.

No comments: