Get the book here

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Upon Further Review...

No, not talking about football. (I did watch most of the first two games, and was pulling for Miami....)

But I saw this posted on another blog. The blog just had the painting, and no copy other than "A Day for Thanksgiving."
My first thought was, "Hey, this is the ten lepers from Luke 17...but the one looking back looks like a woman...weren't they all men?"

So I grabbed the Word and looked it up...nope, not listed as men...but the one who did turn back is described not only as a Samaritan, but as a male.

Which does not make me any less impressed with the painting...

And, upon even further review...just looking back doesn't mean this was the leper that went back. Maybe this one had a temporary fixation on going back, but decides not to; while another does, in fact, decide to go back.

Don't know.

Interesting, though. I had always "assumed" they were all men.

Ah, the dangers of assumption...in so many areas of life...

1 comment:

deac700 said...

Sorry Jack, I would love to consider your interpretive review, but I actually think from the expressions on the faces of the characters in the portrait that they are crossing the Red Sea...

Look at it again as many if not most, are looking up and forward, what about the the woman looking back? you might ask, She appears to be looking at the pursuers, (the Egyptian army..) I may be wrong but that is what I see..