Get the book here

Monday, May 2, 2011

Thoughts on a Death

Like many, I spent last night wondering what momentous announcement was coming from the White House. In a motel room I had the misfortune to watch Geraldo Rivera start bubbling the speculation that it was going to be an announcement of the death of the terrorist...and the various versions of the story started flowing...

When confirmed, the "celebrations" began...

I am glad he is no longer a threat. I am equally glad that, as reported, a couple of his couriers were also killed.

But the partying in the streets discomforts. I recognize that some people will look for any excuse to join in such a "celebration." But I do not like it..

Not sure why it bothers me. Perhaps because I've been in combat? Vietnam is not the middle east; but the horrific reality of combat is the same regardless of the "label."

Look a this photo of ecstatic celebration:

Compare that to this of troops watching the President's announcement:


This is not a 'christian' issue...or is it?...Ezekiel 18.32, "For I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereign LORD. Repent and live!"

3 comments:

Richard said...

I agree with you on this Jack.. Am I pleased that he is dead? Yes. But you won't see me in the streets hooting and hollering.

Folks on base at JFCOM this morning are very quiet and reserved. Noticed a slight security uptick. Otherwise business as usual.

I will say though that it speaks to the insanity of our times that we're worried about the proper Islamic method of burial for a mass-murdering terrorist, because it might anger the Islamists.

Rick

Richard said...

BTW are you coming this way? Let me know if you will be near the Virginia beach area at any time.

Unknown said...

I too have mixed feelings...am glad he has been found but sad that if he wasn't a christian where his eternal destination is...Sad that he would turn his back on the One True God! But I am glad that he is no longer a threat...but it also just leaves someone else to take his place...Partying in the streets??? I don't like it either...Thanks for sharing Jack especially the pictures! I had no idea...Praying for you guys!