Get the book here

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Cross: Picture of God's _______

How you "fill in the blank" of the title "The Cross: Picture of God's _______" determines how you look on things like atonement, hell, wrath.

Most will put the word "love" in the blank...and it should be there...but should be followed by "hate."

Love of people. Hatred for sin.

A simultaneous portrait of His amazing love and the horribleness of sin.

It is "normal," (but not right) to get off balance on the love portrait. But to ignore, or be ignorant of, God's absolute holiness, and thus His hatred of sin, opens one to all kinds of error.

I look at the cross and, gratefully, I see His love (Romans 5.8). The very next verse reminds me that I am "...saved by Him from the wrath of God." That wrath should be poured out on me, but it is not...because it has been poured out on the Sacrificial Lamb.

No comments: