Get the book here

Friday, February 18, 2011

Prison and Christian Camp

I was captured by Christ while in jail awaiting a prison sentence. I now work in both youth ministry and prison ministry.

I'm struck by the similarities...it is relatively easy to make "decisions" for Christ in prison and in Christian camps.

It is a different story to live out those decisions when returning to the real world...whether from a Christian camp or a prison sentence.

As the inmates are always told just before they get out, "Don't leave Jesus at the gate." The same thing applies to students leaving Christian camps.

Of course a week of summer camp doesn't compare in most ways to a 3, 5, 10 or more year prison sentence.

But the fact remains - going back to the "real" world is where the decision must be lived out in dependence on God, in discipline, in accountability, and in community.

1 comment:

Miss Hillbilly said...

Hello.
My name is Tonya. My son is currently involved in quizzing and is part of the Maysville youth group.

I have known about you for a long time as I was a YFC kid.

I look forward to reading your posts. I hope that you post about your prison ministry as that really interests me. My husband works in the Cameron facility and I try to do my part. (LOL--I make blankets for the prison dogs--but the prisoner dog handlers really appreciate them.) I have another follower of my blog because of my prison dog ministry that works with woman prisoners. I will send her your blog link.

I hope that you will truly reach your goal of being the oldest youth minister ever.