Get the book here

Friday, January 28, 2011

A Prayer About Holy Spirit

When I attended Christ Unlimited Bible Institute a million years ago, Dr. Al Metsker and Dean Potratz would often thunder, "The Holy Spirit is not an 'it,' He is a He!  He is just as much a person as the Son!" Of course that is true...

Here is yet another great prayer from SCOTTY SMITH

    Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. The mind of sinful man is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace; the sinful mind is hostile to God. It does not submit to God’s law, nor can it do so. Those controlled by the sinful nature cannot please God.  You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ. Romans 8:5-9
 
     Heavenly Father, I’m particularly grateful today for the person and work of the Holy Spirit. Through I don’t understand everything he’s up to, these things I gladly affirm today.

     Just as assuredly as Jesus stood outside of Lazarus’ tomb and said, “Come forth”, you sent the Holy Spirit to preach the gospel to my heart, and I came out of the tomb of my sin and death. How I praise you for your sovereign goodness and power. Unless you had breathed new life into my spirit, I would never, could never have believed the gospel. Thank you!

     When you raised me up in Jesus, you baptized me with the Holy Spirit, making me a member of your family and Christ’s Bride. You sealed me for eternity by the Spirit, marking me as your very own possession. You sent the Spirit to live as a permanent resident in my heart—to constantly preach the gospel to my heart… convict me of sin… make me like Jesus… and constantly tell me that I’m your beloved child. I no longer just cry, I cry “Abba, Father.”

     According to your Word… according the truth of the gospel, I’m already controlled by the Holy Spirit. I am no longer controlled by my sinful nature. O, the joy this brings.

     You’ve given me all the gifts of the Spirit I need to live as a functioning member in the church and a caring servant in your kingdom. Life is no longer about me.  It never was.

     You gave the Spirit as the firstfruits and guarantee of the full inheritance Jesus earned for all your children. What a generous and loving God you are. Forgive me when I look for treasure anywhere else.

     Blessed Abba, I want to be more consistently filled with the Holy Spirit… walk according to the Spirit… keep in step with the Spirit… set my mind on what the Spirit desires. I want the freedom the Spirit alone gives. I want to be more like Jesus.

     “Spirit of the living God, fall afresh on me. Spirit of the living God, fall afresh of me. Melt me, mold me, fill me, use me. Spirit of the living God, fall afresh of me.” So very Amen, I pray, in Jesus’ faithful name.

No comments: