Get the book here

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Thinking About Lists...

This morning I was  in a meeting with six brothers who I respect greatly.

Some of the discussion got a bit, well, heated. That's okay, because these are passionate followers of Jesus Christ and none of us think we've got it all together. Thus there will be disagreements, but those disagreements are discussed agreeably...

One of the guys shared that he thought the priorities of a church are:

1. Worship
2. Discipleship
3. Evangelism

I said that I didn't like the "list" for the same reason I had and have difficulty with the phrase "Jesus First." The latter used to be the slogan for Jerry Falwell and Liberty University (and I think it purely coincidental that Jesus First and Jerry Falwell had a sort of similarity :)

If Jesus is "first" I have to come up with what is second, third, eighty-fourth etc..

Of course the trinity often exposed is "Jesus, Others, Yourself" or "Jesus, Family, Church" etc.

Therefore I don't like any list that indicates that one aspect of spiritual life is more important than another.

Rather I favor the concept of "Jesus central." Everything else in life should flow out of relationship and subjection to the Lord.

The Navigator "Wheel" depicts it visually:

So...what do you think? Do you have a "list" that works for you, or.....


No comments: