Get the book here

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Take a Breath - Don't Rush


Proverbs 4.1, "Hear, O sons, a father's instruction, and be attentive, that you may gain insight."

If you in the minority of professing Christians who try to spend time daily in the Bible, remember that it is not the quantity of reading, but the quality of reading that is important.

Too often I rush through my passages, instead of chewing on them, meditating on them, praying them. After all, my "to-do" list is like yours!

But we are to be attentive. Before cracking open the Word, I need to "be still" before Him, to consciously come into His presence, marveling at the privilege of being with the Lord. I need to pause to ask His Spirit to "open my eyes that I might behold wondrous things out of Thy law."

And, as I read, I need to force myself to read slowly, attentively, and expectantly.

No comments: